A popular migraine medication recently came off patent and a Treximet generic could soon become available. Treximet tablets are a combination of sumatriptan and naproxen. The drug works by narrowing blood vessels around the brain, reducing headache.
Drugs coming off patent allow manufactures to create generic versions of the medication, making it more affordable. Though a Treximet generic isn’t available yet, the popular migraine medication could be available soon.
Try Searching the LowestMed Price for your Drug!
Is a Treximet generic available?
Even though its patent has expired, a Treximet generic is not available yet. Once the FDA approves a generic version for Treximet, the drug will be available at the pharmacy in a generic form.
What is a migraine?
Migraines aren’t just headaches. They are characterized as severe throbbing pain that is often accompanied by other symptoms, like nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, or vomiting. Migraines can affect people of all ages.
What are some common migraine symptoms?
- Throbbing, pulsating pain
- Light sensitivity
- Sound sensitivity
- Pain on one side
- Vision changes, blurred vision
There are many different types of migraines. You may experience one or more of the above migraine symptoms, but it is unlikely you will suffer all of them at once.
What is a migraine aura?
A visual aura is like an electrical or chemical wave that moves across the visual cortex of your brain. About 20% of migraine sufferers experience migraine aura. Auras are usually visual, but can also be sensory, motor or verbal. Visual auras are the most common.
How to avoid migraines
Not all migraines can be avoided, but it’s possible the ones with “migraine triggers” can be. A migraine trigger is something that causes or triggers an outcome. In this case, the outcome would be a migraine. Here are some tips on how to avoid migraine triggers.
How to avoid migraine triggers
Watch what you eat and drink
- Foods can be triggers for migraines. If you notice you experience migraine symptoms after eating certain foods, take note and try to avoid them in the future
- Skipping meals can affect how your body functions. In some cases, skipping a meal can be a trigger for migraines. If you notice you are experiencing migraine symptoms and haven’t eaten in a while, skipping meals could be a trigger for your migraines
Hold off on the caffeine
- Caffeine is a tricky one. Too much can potentially cause migraines and too little (if you drink or eat foods with caffeine regularly) may cause you to experience withdrawals
- Exercise can be a trigger for migraine, especially if you aren’t drinking enough fluid. If you think exercise might be a trigger for your migraines, you may want to consider taking an nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug for prevention
Get a good amount of sleep
- Tiredness, specifically being overly tired, can be a trigger for migraines. If you’ve noticed you experience migraines more often when your sleep patterns change, the amount of sleep you get could be a trigger for migraines
Work on coping with stress
- Stressful events can be triggers for migraine. How you cope with stress can play a major role in your ability to avoid migraines. Learn to cope with stress through counselling or relaxation exercises.
Here is a list of foods that have been known to cause migraines
- Aged cheese
- Food additives
- Cold foods
To read more about why these foods may cause migraine, visit the Cleveland Clinic’s website.