Shopping around for discount pharmacy prices is no longer as difficult as it used to be. With the evolution of prescription drug price transparency apps, consumers are now given the ability to shop around for their medications right from their laptop or smartphone.
Before LowestMed, the majority of consumers weren’t aware the prices for medications varied by pharmacy location. Traveling from location to location was necessary to find out which store had the best discount pharmacy price.
To this day, many consumers still aren’t aware the price for prescription drugs varies by pharmacy location and also by which discount source (e.g., insurance, manufacturer’s coupon & discount card) is used. Also, according to a recent study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 77% of American adults think prescription drug costs are unreasonable. That is up from 72% in 2015. In addition, 26% said they have trouble paying for their prescription drug treatment.
How can I find the lowest discount pharmacy price for my medication?
Drug price transparency tools, like LowestMed, are pretty straightforward to use. Start by plugging your medication’s name into the search tool. After that, you’ll need to provide your ZIP code, or if you’re using the free mobile app, you can use GPS.
Once you’ve done that, LowestMed will list the prices for your medication at nearby pharmacies. From there, find the pharmacy with the lowest price and bingo … pharmacy savings!
For those who are prescribed more than one prescription, but want to use the same pharmacy, LowestMed can be used to get a discount on multiple medications at the same location. This is important, because many consumers like the convenience and relationship they have with their pharmacist and don’t necessarily want to shop elsewhere. If you are one of these consumers, you can easily find discounts for your pharmacy within the price results screen of LowestMed.
We’ve made it nice and easy for you to start searching for the discounted price for your medication, by providing you with our handy search tool, found below.
Try Searching the LowestMed Price for your Drug!
Here are 5 ways to save money on your medications.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist if a generic version of your medication is available. LowestMed automatically does this for you when searching drug prices
- If you have a prescription drug plan, ask your doctor to prescribe drugs that are “preferred.” These will be the least expensive
- If there isn’t a generic available, your doctor or pharmacist may be able to prescribe you a less-expensive brand name drug in the same medication family
- Your doctor or pharmacist may be able to help you better understand pill splitting. Some medications have little or no cost difference between high-dose and low-dose pills. A pill splitter allows you to buy the higher-dose version and save 50% by splitting it
- Shop around for discount pharmacy prices. By shopping around, using price transparency tools, you are able to pinpoint which pharmacy location you will be able to save the most money at
Online pharmacies: how to tell if they’re legit.
Another way to save money on your medications is through mail order or online pharmacies.
When purchasing prescriptions online, be sure the discount pharmacy you are dealing with has been verified by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP).
You can learn more about what makes an online discount pharmacy safe to order from, here. Since LowestMed is not an online pharmacy, we do not require this verification. LowestMed provides coupons and discount cards to be used at accredited pharmacies located in the United States.
Now that you have the information you need to become a prescription pricing rock star, share this post with your friends that may need help saving money on their medications. You can share this post by clicking or tapping one of the social media badges below.