Common antibiotics are often used to treat a variety of infections from acne to bronchitis. Though you may think being prescribed an antibiotic for sore throats, coughs, colds or even the flu, will help you fight your illness, this is a common misconception.
You may hear a physician use words like viral or bacterial infections when visiting them for an illness. It’s important to know what antibiotics treat. Usually antibiotics are only needed if the infection is caused by bacteria. Many illnesses are actually caused by viruses, meaning they don’t need antibiotics.
Try Searching the LowestMed Price for your Antibiotic!
A List of the 10 Most Common Antibiotics
|Drug Name||LowestMed Price|
|Amoxicillin (Generic for Moxatag)|
500mg, 30 capsules
|Azithromycin (Generic for Zithromax)|
250mg, 6 tablets
|Amoxicillin/Clavulanate (Generic for Augmentin)|
875-125mg, 20 tablets
|Clindamycin (Generic for Cleocin)|
300mg, 30 capsules
|Cephalexin (Generic for Daxbia)|
500mg, 40 capsules
|Ciprofloxacin (Generic for Cipro)|
0.2%, 1 Bottle
|Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (Generic for Sulfatrim)|
800-160mg, 20 tablets
|Metronidazole (Generic for Metro IV)|
500mg, 14 tablets
|Levofloxacin (Generic for Levaquin)|
750mg, 7 tablets
|Doxycycline (Generic for Mondoxyne NL)|
100mg, 20 capsules
Here’s a cheat sheet to know when common antibiotics may be needed:
1. Cough or bronchitis – The cause is almost always from a virus. Though that’s the case, if you begin having problems with your lungs or if the illness last a long time, bacteria may be the cause. Speak with a doctor to see if you should be prescribed an antibiotic
2. Cold and flu – Viruses usually cause these illnesses so antibiotics generally aren’t needed
3. Ear infections – A number of different ear infections exist. Antibiotics can be used for some, but not all ear infections require their use for treatment
4. Sinus infections – They can usually be treated with antibiotics, but if it’s just a runny nose with yellow or green mucus, you probably shouldn’t rush off to the doctor for a prescription
5. Sore throat – The majority of sore throats are caused by viruses, meaning they don’t need antibiotics. Strep throat though, is caused by bacteria. Talk to a doctor about your symptoms to determine if an antibiotic is needed
*Always consult a physician concerning your health. This article is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be medical advise.
What are the most common infections treated with antibiotics?
The most common infections treated with antibiotics are acne, bronchitis, pink eye, ear infections and strep throat. A number of other infections are treated with antibiotics. You can find a list of those here.
How can I better afford common antibiotics?
When filling any prescription, especially common antibiotics, you should always use tools like LowestMed to find the lowest price. You need to do this, because examples like Augmentin, which is one of the most prescribed antibiotics, has a price of $899.20 for 14 tablets. Talk about sticker shock! It’s ok though, because LowestMed’s search tool displays the drug’s generic equivalent first, if available. Augmentin’s generic is Amoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium and it will only cost you $12.84 with a LowestMed coupon! It pays to shop around for your medications!
Always shop around for drug coupons
Since drug prices vary by pharmacy location and also by which discount source is used, you should always shop around for your medications.