What is Atorvastatin Calcium, Generic Lipitor?
Atorvastatin Calcium is a statin drug that is used to reduce levels of bad cholesterol and fats in the blood, while increasing levels of good cholesterol.
What is Atorvastatin Calcium is used for:
Atorvastatin Calcium is used to treat high cholesterol and to reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other conditions caused by higher cholesterol levels. It can also be prescribed to help people who may have heart complications corresponding to type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors.
Atorvastatin Calcium Classification
Atorvastatin Calcium is classified as a “statin,” or HMG CoA reductase inhibitor. The drug increases levels of “good” cholesterol, while reducing levels of “bad” cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
How to use Atorvastatin Calcium:
Before using Atorvastatin, be sure to consult your doctor and consider the risks of taking the medicine. This is a decision you and your doctor will make.
Consider the following before using Atorvastatin Calcium:
Discuss any unusual or allergic reactions to Atorvastatin, or any other medications with your doctor. You should also make your physician aware of any other allergies you might have including food, allergies to dyes, preservatives, or animals.
Studies performed to date, have not identified any pediatric specific problems that would inhibit the usefulness of Atorvastatin in children. Although, safety and efficacy haven’t been established in children under the age of 10.
Studies performed to date, have not identified any geriatric specific problems that would inhibit the usefulness of Atorvastatin in the elderly. However, elderly patients should know that age-related muscle problems may be more likely in patients receiving Atorvastatin.
Studies in breastfeeding woman have shown harmful effects to infants. You should stop breastfeeding while using Atorvastatin or have an alternative medication prescribed to you by your doctor.
Instructions for use:
Use Atorvastatin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Atorvastatin’s packaging comes with an extra patient leaflet. If you have questions in regards to this information, talk to your pharmacist.
- Atorvastatin should be taken by mouth, with or without food.
- Atorvastatin should be swallowed whole and not broken, crushed, or chewed before swallowing.
- Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice can increase the amount of Atorvastatin in your blood, which in turn may increase your risk of having serious side effects. Your risk may be greater when grapefruit or grapefruit juice is taken in a large amount. Avoid large amounts of grapefruit or grapefruit juice (more than 1 quart daily.) Talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist if you have questions regarding including grapefruit juice in your diet while taking this medication.
- Do not miss any doses of this medication. Continue to take Atorvastatin, even if you feel well.
- If you miss a dose of Atorvastatin, take it as soon as possible. Do not take more than 2 doses within a 12 hour time period. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
- Ask your doctor if you have any questions about how to use Atorvastatin.
Atorvastatin Side Effects:
Side effects can exist in all medicines, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. If any of these common side effects persists or become worrisome, be sure to discuss them with your doctor.
Common Atorvastatin Calcium Side Effects
- Joint pain
- Mild sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Upset stomach
- Lower pack or side pain
- Difficult or painful urination
Major Side Effects
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these side effects while taking Atorvastatin.
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Fast heartbeat
- Tightness in the chest
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Incidence not known:
- Dark-colored urine
- Red, irritated eyes
- Sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- Blistering of skin
Less Common Side Effects
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Belching or Excessive gas
- Feeling of illness or discomfort
- Heartburn, stomach discomfort, or indigestion
- Loss or lack of strength
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble Sleeping
Atorvastatin Calcium Prices:
Prices are for prescriptions for 30 tablets of 40 mg:
Atorvastatin Calcium: $13.37
Atorvastatin Calcium Drug Images:
Atorvastatin Calcium 10 mg
Atorvastatin Calcium 20 mg
Atorvastatin Calcium 40 mg
Atorvastatin Calcium 80 mg
Atorvastatin Calcium Alternatives:
Lovastatin (generic for Mevacor)
Atorvastatin Calcium Patent Information:
Generic drugs don’t require patents, only brand name drugs do. Lipitor’s patent exclusivity expired on November 20, 2011.
Atorvastatin Calcium Warnings:
Before taking Atorvastatin discuss any allergies you may have medication wise, or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients which could possible cause allergic reactions or other problems.
Discuss your medication history with your doctor or pharmacist, before taking Atorvastatin. Inform them especially of: liver disease, kidney disease, and/or alcohol use.
Limit alcohol use. Using alcohol daily may increase the risk of liver problems, especially if combined with Atorvastatin.
There is a possibility that older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, especially muscle problems.
Do not use Atorvastatin during pregnancy, as it may harm an unborn baby. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor right away.
Breast feeding is not recommended while on Atorvastatin as it is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast feeding.
If Overdose of Atorvastatin is Suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Atorvastatin:
Atorvastatin should be stored at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and direct sunlight. Store in a closed container. Keep Atorvastatin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
The information provided by Rx Saver is meant for educational purposes only and is not meant to be medical advice. Please seek medical advice before starting, changing or terminating any medical treatment. Discuss all medical related decisions with your physician, before adjusting anything related to your health care.